It turns out that my initial estimates regarding the required storage for Gee-Oh! map tiles were a little out…
I somehow came up with the figure 66Gb for 597871 squares (representing a full 4->10 run) but, having just completed a 4->9 run, things are actually looking a lot sweeter.
For the 66430 tiles already produced, it only required 2.2Gb of storage, and this scales up to only ~20Gb for the lot. Won’t hardly touch the sides of my available storage!
This means I can back up the entire UK quite handily when this is done (as well as quickly copy across to new server(s) etc. for scalability), and also be confident of expanding to other geographical areas (Europe and the US).
Anyway, that’ll do for now. I’ve just started the final run (to be completed in roughly 45 days…) Buh-byyyeee!
Just a quick update on the pre-processing of map tile coverage for the UK – there are currently 52,815 map tiles on file, which constitutes just under 77% of a level 4 to level 9 run. This has taken roughly 5 days.
Once this is complete, I also need to do level 10 to finish it off, which will take approximately 9 times longer (hopefully less, since each square will contain 9x less data).
So I’m looking at around 11th June for the main UK pre-load to be complete. Hopefully under a Labour Government by then…
Of course, looking at the image above, we can see that there are sections of Scotland and Eire that will need to be processed additionally, and the tip of Cornwall by the looks of it (possibly a Channel Island or two for good measure), but essentially 11th June is a good estimate.
Once that is done, no more delays server-side. It’ll be all about getting the Android App finished.
I have finished GeeOhTileProcessor and have got it running in live right now, pre-populating the UK map tiles.
What you can see above is the “heat map” which is part of the GeeOhTileServer monitoring suite, displaying the current progress of level 8 tiles. Strange that the water tiles are not being represented in blue, but that is an issue for another day…
The run currently in progress is from level 4 down to 8, and I will be increasing this to 9 and 10 in the next week or so. Full UK coverage coming soon!
That is all!
EDIT: Problem solved – GeeOhTileServer was just not recording (for processtile API) on heatmap if blank file already exists, and if it didn’t already exist it was just recording it as a land tile. Looks a bit better now…
I’ve just replaced GOTSLoadBalancer (a SpringBoot application) with LoadBalancerApplication, which I wrote in Node/Express and I’m very confident that I made the right decision.
Deployed live some moments ago.
I fully expect Node’s natural qualities to shine through as a load balancing application, especially since I’ve recently tried hammering Node with JMeter and it’s held up perfectly.
It will certainly handle more load than the services it is load balancing for, so that’s fair enough.
Anyway, it’s 1.32am, I’m knackered and I’ve got to go. Happy Easter.