Gee-Oh! Mobile Update

Gee-Oh! Logo B_512

Just a vague update on the commencement of Gee-Oh! Mobile development. Since I got the server back on track and processing squares again last week, I’ve dived right back into the world of Android.

I managed to score a few quick wins from my previous “barriers to release” list, including the rendering of placenames (fading in and out accordingly), and also added the fading out of motorway/main road labels as we zoom out to particular values.

I did a little bit of housekeeping, removing a superfluous ViewThread class that was never really being used as intended, and lots of other little bits, too many to remember fully. Been a busy boy.

My latest venture is a very large refactor to incorporate multiple devices (for now, only a replayDevice and the debug testFlightDevice) and allow auto-centering on these also whilst preserving our actual location indicator on screen. I’ll do a separate blog on this, actually – ’tis a big ol’ topic.

And so this ends.

 

TRP

Migration Complete

migration-fish-bowls

This was actually complete over a week ago, I’ve just not got round to writing about it until now. Soz.

I switched my hosting from a VPS to a Cloud Server, still with 1&1, to get the benefit of (practically) unlimited inodes – as described in my last blog entry – which required setting up everything from scratch (including installing Java!) on the new platform and then copying across anything relevant from the VPS.

The biggest difficulty I came across was in sending notification emails. The main issue from my end was that another incorrectly setup service was already running on port 25 (so I found that and killed it), but the real show-stopper was with 1&1 – who were blocking all outgoing traffic to port 25. I had to get support to remedy that for me.

Aside from that, all seems good. I will have to get onto 1&1 soon and ask them to kill off the VPS (and its associated bill, of course).

I was able to resume pre-loading of GeeOhTileServer grid squares pretty quickly, and that now continues apace. Still on course for mid-June – ’tis a slow process.

I’m done.

 

TRP

Net Migration

greatest-animal-migration-wildebeest

Had a bit of a nightmare over the last week or so. I’d been running the map tile pre-loading program for a while when all of a sudden it just stopped working. I had to rewrite parts of one of my Java libraries in order to catch the error in more detail, and it was coming back as “disk full”.

When I checked on my server’s control panel, it was showing that I had reached my 500,000 inode limit. Yeah, I didn’t know what an inode was either. Turns out it just means file, and that my VPS was limited to half a million files – that’s no good when I need at least 597871 map images (or “empty” files to indicate “all water” or “all land”), plus two meta files for each.

It took me a while to get some sense out of my hosting provider, but eventually I was informed that I need to migrate to a Cloud Server (which, I was assured, have absolutely shitloads of inodes).

I double-checked that I could upgrade to a better Cloud Server package when I needed to scale, without having to re-install everything, and was given some reassurance that they just have to provision more resources. Sound.

So, this week I will be provisioning a shiny new Cloud Server and attempting to just scp everything across from my existing VPS.

Should. Go. Smoothly.

 

TRP

MTGPS Is Dead, Long Live Gee-Oh! Mobile…

Got round to doing a bit of re-branding this week – I have officially discontinued MakingTracksGPS and will be going forward as Gee-Oh! Mobile, which brings the Android application in line with the rest of the Gee-Oh! system.

While I’m here, I may as well summarise the remaining tasks before release:

  • Pre-load all UK map data (in progress, currently ~25% complete)
  • Improve sanity check for GridSquares on level above, kick-starting if required
  • Kick-starting null squares (for current level and level above)
  • Fix “zoom out too fast” issue, where we see background grid when we shouldn’t
  • Implement ability to auto-centre on any provided device, not just device installed on
  • Put Gee-Oh! button just above auto centre button
  • Render placenames
  • ProGuard build
  • Website improvements/alterations

And that’s about it, really. Looking forward to getting v1.0 released ASAP.

 

TRP