Had a bit of a nightmare over the last week or so. I’d been running the map tile pre-loading program for a while when all of a sudden it just stopped working. I had to rewrite parts of one of my Java libraries in order to catch the error in more detail, and it was coming back as “disk full”.
When I checked on my server’s control panel, it was showing that I had reached my 500,000 inode limit. Yeah, I didn’t know what an inode was either. Turns out it just means file, and that my VPS was limited to half a million files – that’s no good when I need at least 597871 map images (or “empty” files to indicate “all water” or “all land”), plus two meta files for each.
It took me a while to get some sense out of my hosting provider, but eventually I was informed that I need to migrate to a Cloud Server (which, I was assured, have absolutely shitloads of inodes).
I double-checked that I could upgrade to a better Cloud Server package when I needed to scale, without having to re-install everything, and was given some reassurance that they just have to provision more resources. Sound.
So, this week I will be provisioning a shiny new Cloud Server and attempting to just scp everything across from my existing VPS.
Should. Go. Smoothly.