This was actually complete over a week ago, I’ve just not got round to writing about it until now. Soz.
I switched my hosting from a VPS to a Cloud Server, still with 1&1, to get the benefit of (practically) unlimited inodes – as described in my last blog entry – which required setting up everything from scratch (including installing Java!) on the new platform and then copying across anything relevant from the VPS.
The biggest difficulty I came across was in sending notification emails. The main issue from my end was that another incorrectly setup service was already running on port 25 (so I found that and killed it), but the real show-stopper was with 1&1 – who were blocking all outgoing traffic to port 25. I had to get support to remedy that for me.
Aside from that, all seems good. I will have to get onto 1&1 soon and ask them to kill off the VPS (and its associated bill, of course).
I was able to resume pre-loading of GeeOhTileServer grid squares pretty quickly, and that now continues apace. Still on course for mid-June – ’tis a slow process.