Between The Lines

LinearInterpolation

So, as previously hinted at, I have been working on implementing “always on” interpolation (toggleable in the options menu) – which I have already managed for “this” device – and I have nearly got it sorted for all external devices too.

I’ve just been trying to make the Interface as efficient as possible, not overdoing the number of methods etc. required, but I think I’m just going to bite the bullet and make getters/setters for all the essential variables.

This will be the last “big job” I do before Gee-Oh! Mobile is ready for release. I think I will have a few business decisions to make before then (ie. dividing the business up into smaller companies – one per product – to remove confusion for potential investors etc.), but as far as technical decisions and implementations go, I’m just about done.

I also did some improvements to the map tile pre-loading application (and also to the memory management, how it’s deployed etc.) and I’m now estimating just a further 10 days before the main map tile server pre-load is complete.

Edging ever closer to getting this shit done!

 

TRP

Advertisements

Self-Centred No More

a-person-meditating

The cheesy title suggests I’m starting to blossom into a caring, generous pillar of the community. Nope 😉 The actual purpose of this post is to talk about the work I’ve been doing in allowing auto-centre to be applied to external devices – not just the device the app is running on – in Gee-Oh! Mobile.

This is a pre-cursor to full integration with Gee-Oh! Server, allowing full tracking and communication between networks/groups of devices. Exciting shit.

Now let’s get into the boring technical detail…

I’ve had to literally rip the guts out of the main class, with all its references to global variables etc. and update this with getters/setters, kept in check by adding additional method references to the device interface. While I “had the bonnet up”, I did a ton of additional fixes, and it ended up being probably the biggest single commit I’d ever be comfortable making, but there you go.

Very pleased with the way it has gone, though. I even snuck in a little “loading” graphic to remove the jerkiness while we wait for interpolation to kick in.

It’s these little details that will make all the difference.

Let’s have a little recap on all the remaining tasks before release:

  • Finish pre-loading server with UK data
    • Currently ~59% complete
  • Confirm that all “centre on selected device” work is done for now
    • Including making sure “test flight” debug mode works with replay etc.
    • In actual debug mode, substitute replay or flight devices with “this” device
    • Highlight selected device/waypoint, whether or not we have GPS location for “this” device
    • Refactor selected waypoint logic to be the same as for selected device
  • Look at implementing “always on” interpolation
    • Move point pair stack into individual devices
    • Each device must have its own interpolation thread running
      • Must retain global control of this
  • Shrink waypoints as we zoom out
  • Replace current waypoints menu with proper pop-up menu
  • Look at implementing “proper” double buffered rendering
  • Make placenames updatable via server API
  • ProGuard builds

I think that just about covers it. I’m not going to add any more features, I just need to clear this list and Gee-Oh! Mobile is getting shoved out the door.

Can’t happen soon enough.

 

TRP