Security!

blart

This week I finally got round to implementing genuine SSL certificates on my sites/domains. I’d made a few aborted attempts previously, hampered mainly by an inept ISP that seemed unable to process my SSL certificate orders, but decided to give Let’s Encrypt (https://letsencrypt.org/) a try this time, and I’m very pleased I did.

Done purely through the terminal, the setup process was as follows:

1. Download and install Certbot

> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install software-properties-common
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:certbot/certbot
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install python-certbot-apache

2. Run Certbot with automated Apache plugin

> sudo certbot --apache

And – after following the on-screen instructions – that was pretty much that. I did have to ensure that the correct port was open on my server, to allow confirmation of domain ownership, but the whole thing was otherwise trouble-free.

The only annoying thing is that – in my haste – I’ve already pointed zacksmohawk.com away from the IP address currently hosting its content, and directly at the box hosting zmserver.net, which means I’ll have to spend some time amalgamating the content. It will probably get messy as f-

Anyway, very happy about the whole HTTPS situation. It’s almost the kind of thing a professional developer would do…

 

TRP

Advertisements

It’s Been A While…

staind

Hello, yes, I’m not dead. I know I’ve not updated here for a while but I’ve been very busy and a lot of dev work has taken place in the meantime.

I have built and deployed a very functional eco-system of integrated services, held together via SSOA (Single Sign-On Application), including GOLS (Gee-Oh! Location Service or Server, I can’t remember) and PBA (Published Broadcast Application), and all of this has been integrated with a front-end web application – whose URL I cannot reveal until after it goes live “proper” – which can be seen below.

As you can see, I have integrated with MapBox (https://www.mapbox.com/), and I’m pretty impressed with their product so far. Will need to get stuck into costs/billing etc. as Gee-Oh! scales up, but as of now I’ve had zero problems. I suppose I should keep one eye on the ease of swapping base map integrations, if anything were to go wrong.

My next focus is some SSOA refactoring; implementing additional features to cope with the evolution of the other services. Following on from that I will be adding more UI elements to the admin pages to get better control of GOLS and PBA, and I will also be adding a “self serve” admin dialog to the web application.

Further work includes some refactoring of GOLS to include timestamps in location data, implementing some extra info items and a pretty crucial refactor of the core broadcasting architecture (removing ‘sendKey’).

And then it’s back onto the web application UI to get the whole thing looking and behaving as smooth as possible. I hope to be in a position to demonstrate something impressive to potential clients/investors soon.

Expect more regular updates for the foreseeable future.

 

TRP