This week I finally got round to implementing genuine SSL certificates on my sites/domains. I’d made a few aborted attempts previously, hampered mainly by an inept ISP that seemed unable to process my SSL certificate orders, but decided to give Let’s Encrypt (https://letsencrypt.org/) a try this time, and I’m very pleased I did.
Done purely through the terminal, the setup process was as follows:
1. Download and install Certbot
> sudo apt-get update > sudo apt-get install software-properties-common > sudo add-apt-repository ppa:certbot/certbot > sudo apt-get update > sudo apt-get install python-certbot-apache
2. Run Certbot with automated Apache plugin
> sudo certbot --apache
And – after following the on-screen instructions – that was pretty much that. I did have to ensure that the correct port was open on my server, to allow confirmation of domain ownership, but the whole thing was otherwise trouble-free.
The only annoying thing is that – in my haste – I’ve already pointed zacksmohawk.com away from the IP address currently hosting its content, and directly at the box hosting zmserver.net, which means I’ll have to spend some time amalgamating the content. It will probably get messy as f-
Anyway, very happy about the whole HTTPS situation. It’s almost the kind of thing a professional developer would do…